SUMMARY OF THE MOST SIGNIFICANT PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE WESTPOINTE COMMUNITY COUNCIL BYLAWS
- Adopts a more concise, informal, user-friendly format. Reduced from 11 pages to 5.5 pages.
- Defines two types of membership— individual (residents) and organizational. Organizational memberships would be open to “any property owner, civic organization, business, service agency, or institution located in the area…”
- Replaces the Executive Board with a Board of Directors. In doing so keep all elected officers (below) on the Board of Directors. Eliminate neighborhood representatives replacing them with up to 5 other members elected from the general membership. The past chair and the social media director would be ad hoc members.
- Eliminates the Chair-Elect position. Keep elected Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary, and Treasurer positions. Allow for the appointment of a Social Media director. May not be voting board member if not Council member.
- Elect Officers to staggered two-year terms. Require all officers to reside within Council boundaries. Other Board members need to be Council members but not necessarily residents. Would be elected to one-year terms.
- Clarify procedures when vacancies develop. Continue current policy allowing Board to appoint up to 3 positions until the next election but only if the Board has fewer than 6 members. If Chair position becomes vacant then Council elects replacement until next election.
- Grant Board of Directors more flexibility on establishing committees and on where and when to hold membership meetings.
- Stream-line election procedures and calendar while keeping Nominating & Election Committee.
- Changes amendment process requiring membership approval not just adoption by Board members.
Get to know the rules the Community Council has to follow and read the full bylaws by clicking here.